the windmill dishcloth

Well, as promised here is the pattern for my new design, the windmill, so named by a spoonful of sugar. I still need a name for the first cloth I did based on the circular saw cloth – maybe I’ll just end up calling it variation#1… ;)

Materials: 1 ball worsted weight cotton yarn, size 4mm needles. I used Anchor Magiclene for this cloth, which gave it a lovely effect.

Instructions:
Cast on 20 stitches.
This cloth is made up of 6 wedges, all exactly the same. Then the edge is sewn together, the threads are sewn in and the cloth is complete. :)

Every wedge:
Row 1 and all odd rows: K across to last 6 stitches, P6.
Row 2: K6, YO, K to last st, turn.
Row 4: K6, YO, K to last 2 sts, turn.
Row 6: K6, YO, K to last 3 sts, turn.
Row 8: K6, YO, K to last 4 sts, turn.
Row 10: K6, YO, K to last 5 sts, turn.
Row 12: K6, YO, K to last 6 sts, turn.
Row 14: Bind off 6 sts, K5, YO, K to last 7 sts, turn.
Row 16: K6, YO, K to last 8 sts, turn.
Row 18: K6, YO, K to last 9 sts, turn.
Row 20: K6, YO, K to last 10 sts, turn.
Row 22: K6, YO, K to last 11 sts, turn.
Row 24: K6, YO, K to last 12 sts, turn.
Row 26: Bind off 6 sts, K across row.

It’s a very simple pattern that looks awesome made up! Let me know if you make it, I’d love to see other peoples take on the pattern.

You can find a printable version of this pattern here: Free Dishcloth Patterns from sew-funky.com.

© SewFunky 2008

LoadingUpdating...
  1. Dorothy Noreen Hunter-Talbot’s avatar

Your cloth is beautiful, have never seen yarn like what you used before.

2. Jodz’s avatar

I think this is one of the prettiest dish cloths I have seen. The colours are divine.

3. A Spoonful Of Sugar’s avatar

Thanks for sharing the “Windmill” pattern. I am only a fairly basic knitter but looking at the pattern it looks achievable for me. Is Magiclene a wool or cotton yarn?

I have looked again at your Circular Saw design and think a good name would be “Pink Fractal”. Refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal for a good definition of fractal. Have a great weekend, Lisa

4. BeckyS’s avatar

Beautiful cloth! Thanks for the pattern… it’s definitely going on my to-knit list. :)

5. RoamingKnitter’s avatar

This is a great cloth. It is going in my knitting que right now. Thank you so much for the pattern.

6. Vivian’s avatar

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful pattern. It is going on my list of things to make. I will definitely visit your blog again.

Happy Knitting,
    Vivian

7. marlene’s avatar

wow very nice cloth. I put it on my favorites list. the hubby is watching and says I have enough dishcloth patterns. Marlene McDonald(m.mcdonald123@rogers.com)

8. sewfunky’s avatar

magicline is made from 100% cotton. It’s self striping in effect, a little different from variegated yarn but that would look nice in this pattern too!

Cotton is best for dishcloths as it is more absorbent than acrylic or wool. It also washes better. You need only throw it in the machine and dry until slightly damp in the dryer. Some people even wash theirs in the dishwasher. :)

9. Anonymous’s avatar

I made this cloth in electric neon green and peacock and posted it on Ravelry. Check it out–I’m Patty7737! Thanks for the pattern. It was fun to knit at my computer when I was waiting for S-L-O-W downloads:)

from lilac bedecked VT,
    Patty M.

10. Judith’s avatar

Gorgeous cloth! Thanks for creating and posting the pattern. I have made one in Sugar ‘n Cream Floral Prints and have pictured it on my blog http://www.knittingdaft.blogspot.com. Please feel free to have a look. Thanks again! I love this pattern.

Judith

11. mary lou’s avatar

Hi;
    We absolutely love your windmill pattern… we would love to use it as our Knit a long in July 2008. Our group is new and you are welcome to join. Our group is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_gathering_room/

Can we have permission to use your pattern in the KAL?

Thanks you so much;

Mary Lou
    Moderator
    The Gathering Room
    the_gathering_room-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Raverly – the gathering room

12. Anonymous’s avatar

I love your cloths, and looking at “angry chicken” I feel as though we could talk for hours. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasms.
    Sandra

13. chocolatesheep’s avatar

I just finished my first Windmill dishcloth and will make many more. I love the pattern! I have pictures up at my Ravelry account.

14. yenny’s avatar

This is very pretty. I am not too good in knitting but will definitely try it.

15. Barbara K’s avatar

Thanks for the pattern. I am on row 26 – but I may be dense – am I to bind off at this point? There are no instructions for the end of row 26.

Also, how did you finish off attaching each section – which technique? The pix looks as if you picked up stitches rather than sew them together -So perfect! Appreciate comments, since I want to make this to give as a present.

16. Meggie S’s avatar

Soo cool! I just did the cast on for it ;D
    That’s pretty neat yarn you used too, wonder if they have it at michael’s…

1. Sew Funky’s avatar

Hi Meggie,

Not sure if you’ll find that yarn at Michaels, as I’m pretty sure it’s a discontinued line. You might be able to find it online somewhere though!

D.

1. Meggie S’s avatar

Discontinued?
        But it’s so cool! Why would they do that?

1. Sew Funky’s avatar

Beats me! But maybe it wasn’t popular before?! :(

17. LittleMissSaxxy’s avatar

Saw a picture of this in Yarn Forward magazine (UK) and had to track the pattern down to give it a shot/try, it looks lovely! Will post any finished colourways on Ravelry. I see it as a nice face cloth in Sirdar Juicy (a lovely soft bamboo-based yarn)… but I think I only have cotton left to try it on at the moment. ;o)

18. Lois Derry’s avatar

I LOVE this pattern! I have made about 25! When my friends see them they can’t resist. They have to have one. Another great idea for gifts.