starfish cloth

This is going to become one of my FAVOURITE CLOTHS of all time, it looks so CUTE and is so EASY to make…

Materials: 1 ball worsted weight cotton yarn, size 4mm needles. I used Anchor Magicline for this cloth, which gave it a lovely effect – it’s a self-striping yarn.

Instructions:

Cast on 15 stitches.

Every wedge:

Row 1 and all odd rows: K across to last 3 stitches, P3.

Row 2: K3, YO, K to last st, turn.

Row 4: K3, YO, K to last 2 sts, turn.

Row 6: K3, YO, K to last 3 sts, turn.

Row 8: K3, YO, K to last 4 sts, turn.

Row 10: K3, YO, K to last 5 sts, turn.

Row 12: K3, YO, K to last 6 sts, turn.

Row 14: K3, YO, K to last 7 sts, turn.

Row 16: K3, YO, K to last 8 sts, turn.

Row 18: K3, YO, K to last 9 sts, turn.

Row 20: K3, YO, K to last 10 sts, turn.

Row 22: K3, YO, K to last 11 sts, turn.

Row 24: K3, YO, K to last 12 sts, turn.

Row 26: Cast off 12 sts, K to end of row.

Now, look at how EASY that wedge is! You won’t even have to print the pattern out!!! :)

You can find a printable version of this pattern here: Free Dishcloth Patterns from sew-funky.com.

© SewFunky 2008

1. Little Miss Flossy’s avatar

I love that word ‘easy’, it’s tempting me to have a go! It’s such a cute dishcloth.

2. Laurie’s avatar

Another amazing cloth. Thank you for sharing. I can’t wait to give it a try.

3. onscreen’s avatar

Hey Babe

Congrats on smashing through the 10,000 barrier so soon!

Love ya

Mr Sew-Funky

4. KnitFloozy’s avatar

These are so easy I’m gonna try all of these this weekend!!! You are really talented! Hope you’re voice comes back soon!

5. Judith’s avatar

Another great design (she says whilst casting on!)

Judith (who wants to know how Knitfloozy got her meez as an avatar on her blog!)

6. Judith’s avatar

I think I figured it out. I’m going to try your starfish in Country Print (Sugar ‘n Cream). I think it will be stunning! Thanks for another great pattern.

7. Chayah’s avatar

This is a lovely pattern. I would like to make it but I don’t understand how to get past the first wedge–did you pick up stitches, or make the wedges and connect them? I know I am missing something, help would be very appreciated, warmly, Chayah

1. susan’s avatar

I am feeling reallyy stupid about this pattern. I end up with a nice shape but there are the 9 stitches left on the needles. what am I missing?

1. Sew Funky’s avatar

You need to cast off and join with the other side or using kitchener stitch join them together. :) So you knit all 6 wedges and then cast off/join.

Quote: “This cloth is made up of 6 wedges, all exactly the same. Then the edge is sewn together, the threads are sewn in and the cloth is complete. :)”

2. Judith’s avatar

Hiya! Didn’t use Country Print for this but used a pink variegated by Honeysuckle and it’s LUVERLY! Check it out on my blog: http://www.knittingdaft.blogspot.com. Thanks for the pattern! I’m going to keep my eye on your site! Very talented, you are!

Judith

3. sewfunky’s avatar

Hi Chayah

You basically carry on knitting the rows again. Don’t cast off at the end of the wedge and you should have the same number of stitches you cast on with. :)

4. Mary’s avatar

I love this pattern (and the rest of your cloth patterns). Thanks for your wonderful designs. I have posted a picture of my finished Starfish and Windmill cloths on my blog if you are interested.

5. Dorothy Noreen Hunter-Talbot’s avatar

I finally managed to find some of the anchor magicline for sale on EBay and I have done the Windmill and the Starfish and absolutely loved the way they turned out. I have posted both of them as completed projects on my ravelry page; my ravelry name is Noreen. I cannot wait to get started working on your other patterns as they are just as gorgeous and your new baby star one is another WINNER.

Thanks so much for being so creative.

6. BarbSz’s avatar

Thank you very much for the great pattern. It was so much fun to make. I posted a photo on my blog of the one I made.
        Thanks again BarbSz

7. Claudia’s avatar

Hi!
        I just LOVE the starfish cloth (and all the beautiful patterns you share)!! I´m doing the second one! I´d like to say “Thank you” and ask your permission, if possible, to translate the Starfish pattern to Portuguese in my blog. Many people want to knit it but can´t understand a word in English. It´s just for personal use, not commercial, and I always give all the credits to the artist.
        Thanks a lot!
        My e-mail: virgilios@uol.com.br

8. Claudia’s avatar

Dione:
        Thank you very much for your generosity in allowing me to translate your pattern on my blog. Now Starfish cloth will be beautifully adorning much more Brazilian homes!!

9. Shay’s avatar

Kayoot! I love this, I have some leftover cotton yarn in various colors and this is the perfect project.

10. emdc@earthlink.net’s avatar

Love this pattern, Many thanks. Just finishing it in Peaches & Cream Earthtone.

Question: Have cast off the 12 stitches on row 27 of the last wedge. Do I continue casting off OR finish the row, turn and cast off. TIA

1. Sew Funky’s avatar

2. Cora’s avatar

I found the cloth through Rachel of Rachel's Knitting room. She did hers into a felted coaster which looks awesome. I plan to knit up a few of these.

Cora

3. Kristina’s avatar

Thanks for the great pattern! I was just wondering what you meant by “turning” it at the end of each even row? Thanks for the help!

4. Bumble’s avatar

Hello! I’m having a great time with this pattern! Thank you! However, I am very new to knitting (this is my third project). I’m having a difficult time figuring out how to join the wedges. All the videos/demonstrations I have seen of kitchener stitch is joining two raw (not casted off) edges. If you can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it :)

Cheers,

Bumble

1. Sew Funky’s avatar

Hi

Maybe, since you are a new knitter, you should just sew up the last and first wedges (making the cloth). It would be easier than figuring out kitchener stitch.

I assume you’ve knitted the cloth as one, and not individual wedges. Once you’ve knitted a wedge just carry on with the stitches to make the next one and so on until the cloth lays flat. :)

Cheers

Dione

1. Bumble’s avatar

bwuahahahaha. Thank you. No, I have knitted individual wedges. Looks like I have the beginning of 6 cloths :) . Teehee.

Thanks again for your time in answering me.

Bumble.

2. Laura’s avatar

I am still confused about how to join the two ends together…. is there a tutorial that can help?

3. Patti’s avatar

Thanks so much!!! This is a beautiful baby gift for my son’s teacher!!! I hope it gives her a smile when she needs to clean up the highchair.

4. megabyte’s avatar

Awesome pattern! I’m brand new to knitting and this is quick and easy! I needed some clarification about the end of the pattern, but I read through the comments and you had answered it there. I’m so excited to see it when it’s done!

5. Lisanne’s avatar

I think that I *totally* screwed up. When you get to the end and it says to “turn,” then you start knitting again, doesn’t it make a yarn-over? Or should you be putting the yarn *behind* the needle and then knitting like it says? This cloth is taking *forever* to do as a result … I’m on the fifth wedge, and they just keep getting bigger and bigger!!! Ugh! :(

1. Sew Funky’s avatar

Don’t do a yarn over… that just makes the cloth bigger each turn! I am sure by now you’ve figured that out!

2. Erm’s avatar

I am having one heck of a time trying to figure this starfish cloth pattern out. I have ripped and re-ripped til I’m blue in the face….both sizes.! Bah humbug.

After the last row be it 20 or 26 …I find that if I eliminate row 1 and continue with row 2 it may work out better……I’ll see if it happens in this theory…..If not I’m flat out giving up.

A friend gave me one of these cloths that she had received from another friend…..I can see the pattern but its 12 “tips” around and the center looks liked a botched mess……Can you send a picture of the cloth up close??????

1. Sew Funky’s avatar

not sure what’s going wrong with your cloths – do you end up with the same amount of stitches you began with at the end of the wedge?