Baby Star

Materials: 1 ball worsted weight cotton yarn, size 4mm needles. I used Sugar’nCream Summer Prints for this cloth, which gave it a lovely effect – it’s a variegated yarn.

Instructions:
Cast on 12 stitches.
This cloth is made up of 7 wedges, all exactly the same. Then the edge is sewn together, the threads are sewn in and the cloth is complete. :)

Every wedge:

Row 1 and all odd rows: K.
Row 2: K3, YO, K to last st, turn.
Row 4: K3, YO, K to last 2 sts, turn.
Row 6: K3, YO, K to last 3 sts, turn.
Row 8: K3, YO, K to last 4 sts, turn.
Row 10: K3, YO, K to last 5 sts, turn.
Row 12: K3, YO, K to last 6 sts, turn.
Row 14: K3, YO, K to last 7 sts, turn.
Row 16: K3, YO, K to last 8 sts, turn.
Row 18: K3, YO, K to last 9 sts, turn.
Row 20: Cast off 9 sts, K to end of row.

This cloth is very similar to the starfish cloth, but with smaller wedges. This makes the cloth smaller and perfect for a baby washcloth! :)

You can find a printable version of this pattern here: Free Dishcloth Patterns from sew-funky.com.

© SewFunky 2008

LoadingUpdating...
  1. LDSVenus’s avatar

Very cute wash cloth. I’ll have to try one for my grandson :).

2. Mommabear7@sbcglobal.net’s avatar

Wow this is nice I will be knittng it soon! marion

3. Aunt Kathy’s avatar

I love the smaller version. Looking for some cotton as I type, LOL

4. Beth’s avatar

Very beautiful as usual- these will be great to make for the little ones. Thanks so much for all of your patterns.

5. Pamela Foreman’s avatar

It’s totally cute!

6. sailorcross’s avatar

I really like this. I know someone who is having a baby soon,and this would be perferct to add to her shower gift.

Thanks!

Beth

7. Jodz’s avatar

Gorgeous cloth and I made myself one (with the cotton you gave me of course)

8. Alli's Little World of Knitting!’s avatar

I love it Dione!! I’ll defnitely have to knit this up, it’ll be perfect for baby showers!

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Hugs
    Alli

9. Donna Boots’s avatar

I like this pattern, but I’m finding it a bit confusing. Please read row 20. Do I put those last stitches on a holder or knit them off? I think the pattern is missing a few steps. Thank you

10. Bonnie’s avatar

ok, figured out most of the pattern. I’m at the end and just like Donna Boots I’m wondering what to do with the live stitches at the end?? Put them on a stitch holder?? Bind them off?? Does anyone out there have an answer?? Thank you so much to anyone that posts the resolve so I can put this precious little star together!!!

1. Sew Funky’s avatar

Hi Bonnie & anyone else struggling with ending the pattern,

There are two ways to finish the cloth – you either bind off the stitches on the LAST wedge and stitch the last and first wedge together or you can join them using kitchener stitch (look on you-tube for a tutorial video – I find that’s the easiest way to learn.

Sorry there was no explanation on here, like you say Bonnie, I usually reply to comments by email, because I know that wordpress doesn’t notify commenters that there has been a reply to their comment (unless you have a plug-in activated)

Also, please be aware that I live in NEW ZEALAND and can’t reply to comments immediately. Your comments came through at 3am. I am not on the internet all the time as I am a busy mum of 3, one of who’m is a high-functioning autistic 12 year old.

Have a neat day…

Dione

11. Sue’s avatar

Love the pattern. So easy. I get 2 washcloths out of one skein of Peaches N Cream Cotton 2 oz. varigated yarn.

12. Chris Robinson’s avatar

Looking for help, I had a pattern very similar to this one but when you finished, you stitched back to the center, gathered the center and tied it off, the star points were straight and I believe more than 5 points. Is anyone familiar with what I am talking about. I have lost the pattern and have yet to be able to find it. Makes a beautiful doily like cloth