Aimée’s amāta facecloth

This cloth was designed for my almost 10 year old daughter. Her name means beloved and she sure lives up to her name! :) Aimée was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism when she was 5 years old. She currently attends a satellite class at a special school, and is doing very well there. So much so, that our sweet girl is going to be moved up a year at school and will be attending intermediate early! :)

Love was the first word she ever learned how to spell and is a word that would describe our little girl to a tee. She struggles, as do we, with her diagnosis. And yet, there is something other-worldly about our girl. She is at times able to be untouched by the world we live in. There is an innocence about her that I love.

Name meaning from wikipedia:
Aimee, or Aimée, is a female given name and a version of Amy. Both names come from Aimée, which means beloved/loved in French (for a female), from Old French amede, from Latin amāta, feminine singular past participle of amāre “to love”. The masculine form is Aimé.

By the way, purple is her favourite colour. Has been for forever, honestly I swear she’ll love you if you wear it. She is the purple spotter! :)

Anyway, without further ado, here is the pattern for the face cloth…

Aimée’s amāta

Materials:
1 ball worsted weight cotton yarn, size 4 mm needles. I used Lion Brand Yarn’s Lion Cotton, 147 Purple.

Instructions:

Cast on 18 stitches.
This cloth is made up of 6 wedges, all exactly the same. When you finish knitting a wedge, you just carry on knitting the next one. Then the edge is sewn together, the threads are sewn in and the cloth is complete. :)

Every wedge:
Row 1 : K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.
Row 2: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last st, turn.
Row 3: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.
Row 4: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 2 sts, turn.
Row 5: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.
Row 6: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 3 sts, turn.
Row 7: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.
Row 8: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 4 sts, turn.
Row 9: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.

Row 10: Cast off 4 stitches then K1, P2, K2, YO, K to last 5 sts, turn.
Row 11: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.
Row 12: P2, K2, P2, YO, K to last 6 sts, turn.
Row 13: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.
Row 14: P2, K2, P2, YO, K to last 7 sts, turn.
Row 15: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.
Row 16: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 8 sts, turn.
Row 17: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.
Row 18: Cast off 4 stitches then K1, P2, K2, YO, K to last 9 sts, turn.
Row 19: K to last 6 sts, P2, K2, P2.
Row 20: K2, P2, K2, YO, K to last 10 sts, turn.
Row 21: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.
Row 22: P2, K2, P2, YO, K to last 11 sts, turn.
Row 23: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.
Row 24: P2, K2, P2, YO, K to last 12 sts, turn.
Row 25: K to last 6 sts, K2, P2, K2.
Row 26: Cast off 4 sts, K across row.

You can find a printable version of this pattern here: Free Dishcloth Patterns from sew-funky.com.

© SewFunky 2008

LoadingUpdating...
  1. Mommabear7@sbcglobal.net’s avatar

I can’t tell you what a beautiful person I know you are! And a wonderful mom. There are days I wish I could see the world through your eyes. You do beautiful work and share it so freely with us all. God Bless you and thank you for this gift!!! Marion (People like you is what makes our world worth living in!)

2. sewfunky’s avatar

aww! Shucks Marion! Thanks for your kind words. I try my best, and am not always up to the task of being mum & wife. Life is hard sometimes, but I'm on the journey. :)

3. Shelley’s avatar

Lovely as usual. I can’t wait to get started. I’m going to try this in S.S to see what comes of it. Thank you for your generosity!!!

Take care!

4. susanmark’s avatar

HI Diane,

Yet another gorgeous round cloth. I think this one is the prettiest yet.

Thank you for the free patterns.

hugs
    Susan

5. CraftyCarole’s avatar

another lovely cloth.
    My favorite color is purple too! Aimée has great taste :-)

6. RoamingKnitter’s avatar

Thanks for the great cloth. Really cute & now on my to-do list.

7. Rita’s avatar

Wow, what a beautiful cloth. Have never attempted one but will sure try this one. Thank you so much for this gift. Blessings to you and your daughter. Could we but all see the world as Aimée sees it. What a loving heart she must have.

8. Jan E’s avatar

I just found your patterns through a Yahoo! dishcloth group. AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing.

9. Vertigo’s avatar

Is each wedge knit seperately, and sewn together? Or is the cloth knit in one piece, and there is just one seam?

10. sewfunky’s avatar

Hi Vertigo

It’s all knit in one piece, and joined on the last wedge. :)

D.

11. zcsjmom’s avatar

My daughter was diagnosed with Asperger’s when she was six, and she’ll be 11 next month. Her name is Samina, which means “happy” – perfect for her! She would love this cloth in purple or pink. Thanks so much for the beautiful patterns, and sharing your journey!

12. Jeanette Yvonne’s avatar

What a pretty cloth! I needed some ideas for the ladies in the school office where my son goes – he is also HFA, he was diagnosed at 6 yrs old. I pray you are getting your Aimee the services she needs w/out any problem. This cloth gave me an idea for the gifts: “bath basket”. :-) Thanks. It really is pretty! Squish your precious angel for me.

1. admin’s avatar

Thank you. :) Aimee is doing well and has been able to access a lot of help through her school. They really are special kids, with lots of love to give. She also has some wonderful insights to other people, and I like that.

1. Melina’s avatar

I have tried and tried to find a paettrn to knit of a sea shell for a dish cloth. So many people I know would love one if I could find it. Would you please try to Make one for me? Any shell would do, the sand dollar or a conch shell or a scallop. Thanks for answering me about this. I have loved doing all other paettrns.

13. Lorraine’s avatar

Amazing! This is the prettiest clothe I’ve ever seen. It looks so complicated, but sounds so easy. I definately want to try this. And the starfish clothe looks awesome, too!

14. Pauline A Stevens’s avatar

I am so pleased that I found this site, thank you for the free patterns I love them all.
    Pauline

15. Marilee Williamson’s avatar

Thanks so much for sharing this pattern created for your daughter. I have tried to get started and keep ending up with ribbing in the area toward the outside edge. Are you doing a wrapped short row? I have been simply turning and picking up the yarn; tried three times and then looked for more options explained for a short row. I’m probably an intermediate knitter but with a bit of guidance on the turning part will be able to make this for a friend who also loves purple. I love the shape of this! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    Marilee